Prep Time: 10 minutes
Cooking Time: 6-8 minutes
- 1/2 - 3/4 lb. of catfish filet(s)
- 1/2 cup of your favorite fish fry breading mixture (we used Andy's Red Fish Breading)
- canola oil, for frying
- 3 cups of shredded cabbage
- 1/2 cup of shredded carrot
- 1/2 cup of Best Foods Olive Oil Mayo
- 1 tsp. of rice vinegar
- 1 tsp. of sugar
- 1 tsp. of Louisiana hot sauce, or to taste
- salt and freshly ground black pepper, to taste - 1 vine tomato, sliced
- tartar sauce (optional)
- 1 loaf of fresh French baguette
1. To make cole slaw, combine cabbage, carrot, mayo, rice vinegar, sugar, hot sauce, salt and pepper. Taste to make sure the flavors are balanced. Too dry, add more mayo. Too sweet, add more vinegar. Too tart, add more sugar.
Set aside to let flavors marry.
2. Rinse catfish filet(s) in cold water. Shake off excess water. Cut and trim filets accordingly. Coat both sides well with breading mixture.
In a skillet, heat 1/2 inch of canola oil. Fry catfish filets for about 3 minutes on each side, or until golden brown.
Drain on paper towels.
3. Cut French bread into two sections for serving. Assemble Po' Boy with cole slaw at the bottom, tomato and then catfish.
If you must have tartar sauce, fine. But I don't think it needs it. Enjoy!