Servings: 4 to 6
Prep Time: 15 min
Cook Time: 50 min
- 2 tbs. olive oil
- 1 lb. ground bison
- 1 large russet potato, peeled and cut into large chunks
- 1 head of cauliflower, core removed and quartered
- 3 medium-sized stalks of leek, white and light green parts chopped
- 2 onions, sliced
- 1 tbs. tomato paste
- 4 splashes of Worcestershire sauce
- pinch of ground cinnamon
- 1 clove of garlic, minced
- zest of half an orange
- 1/4 - 1/2 cup of chopped parsley
- 1/4 cup of shredded parmesan cheese, plus extra for topping
- 2 tbs. of unsalted butter
- salt and pepper, to taste
1. Preheat oven to 450 degrees F.
Fill a pot with cold water and add potatoes and cauliflower. Add a generous pinch of salt, bring to a boil and cook over medium heat for 20 minutes or until softened.
Drain and return to pot. Mash with 2 tbs. of butter, 1/4 cup of Parmesan cheese and salt and pepper, to taste. Set aside.
2. While potato and cauliflower cooks, heat 2 tbs. of olive oil in a 10-inch cast iron pan over medium-high heat.
Add ground bison and brown with salt and pepper, to taste. Once cooked, remove the bison with a slotted spoon and set aside.
4. Next, lower heat to medium. Add onion, leek and a pinch of salt to the pan. Allow the onion and leek to sweat for 3 minutes, stirring often.
Then add 1 tbs. of tomato paste and 4 splashes of Worcestershire Sauce. Lower heat to medium-low. Allow onions to caramelize, about 10-15 minutes, stirring occasionally. Try not to burn it.
Next, return ground bison to the pan. Stir in orange zest, a pinch of cinnamon, 1 clove of minced garlic and chopped parsley. Add salt and pepper, to taste. Turn off heat.
5. Top bison mixture with potato-cauliflower mixture.
Sprinkle the top with Parmesan cheese.
And stick the whole thing into a 450 degree F oven. Bake for 15 minutes, or until cheese turns golden brown.
Serve with dark beer and watch your dinner guests gobble it up! There won't be any leftovers.
Please enjoy this dish, everyone!