Pulled Barbecue Venison
With football season here, we know that many of you will be tailgating and hosting parties to celebrate all your favorite team's victories. NFL is popular, but for me, it's college all the way! And if you really knew me, it's the Cornhuskers of Nebraska that I'm rooting for! Win or lose, the Cornhuskers have always been my team because of my dad, who was born and raised in the great town of Falls City, Nebraska. Saa-lute!
|Rick at the 2012 Huskers vs. UCLA game, Rose Bowl.|
When serving any kind dish for such large gatherings, it must be tasty and preferably, easy to prepare. This one fits both bills! Serve it over mashed taters or on a bun. Just keep it hot, and it'll pull you through all those cold autumn afternoons. Now I got Kenny Chesney's "Boys of Fall" running through my head! Hey you, bachelors! And harried moms! This is also a great dish to throw together for an easy meal. Either way, it's a good one.
Prep Time: 15 minutes
Cooking Time: 4 hours
- 2 lb. of venison
- 1/4 cup of packed brown sugar
- 1/2 tsp. of salt
- 1/4 tsp. of ground black pepper
- 2 tbs. of Worcestershire sauce
- 1 1/2 cups of ketchup
- 1/4 cup of red wine vinegar
- 2 tbs. of mustard
- 1/4 tsp. of garlic powder
- 1 tsp. of liquid smoke
1. In a large bowl, combine Ketchup, brown sugar, red wine vinegar, mustard, Worcestershire sauce and liquid smoke. Stir in salt, pepper and garlic salt. Make sure all ingredients are mixed well together. Set aside to allow ingredients to marry.
2. While the above mixture is resting, trim away all fat, silverskin and gristle from venison and set aside.
3. Place venison pieces in a slow cooker and cover with the sauce mixture. Coat all venison pieces well. Cover and cook on low for 3 hours.
4. Uncover slow cooker and either remove meat from the slow cooker and shred, or shred in the slow cooker. This was so tender that I did it in the cooker. Let the now shredded meat cook for another hour.
5. Remove lid from the slow cooker and stir the meat well. Spoon the meat over chunky mashed potatoes and serve with your favorite roasted vegetables. And as always, enjoy!!
* * *
Congratulations to two Facebook followers Mira Mikati and Thomas Orion Williams for each winning a $25 coupon code to Dick's Sporting Goods! We asked our followers on Facebook to name the weirdest thing they've ever eaten to participate in this giveaway. Mira and Thomas's answers were raw sheep's liver and fat, fish brains and squirrel brains. And a special thank you to Dick's Sporting Goods for sponsoring this giveaway.
To stay updated on the latest Food for Hunters news, please follow us on Facebook: