Catfish with Bacon-Cream Sauce
Tired of tartar sauce? Try this sauce with bacon, cream, chives and lemon instead.
This recipe originally appeared on Jones Dairy Farm.
Prep Time: 15 minutes
Cooking Time: 20 minutes
- 4 catfish fillets
- Milk for soaking fish
- 1/4 cup of all-purpose flour
- Salt and pepper
- 2 cloves of garlic, minced (or shallots)
- 2 slices of Jones Dairy Farm Cherrywood Smoked Bacon, chopped
- 2 teaspoons of chopped chives
- 1 cup of heavy whipping cream
- Zest of 1 lemon, grated
- 2 tablespoons of butter
1. Heat 2 tablespoons of butter in a large non-stick pan over medium heat. Place catfish fillets in a wide dish or bowl and pour milk over fish to wet. Remove fish and sprinkle salt and pepper on both sides. Dust with flour and shake off excess. Place catfish in the pan and cook for 2 minutes on each side, or until browned and cookedthrough. Do not crowd fish in the pan—cook in batches. Keep cooked catfish warm.
2. In the same pan, render chopped bacon over medium heat. Remove bacon and drain on a paper towel. Pour out most of the grease and discard (or keep for another use). Return the bacon bits to the pan and add garlic. Stir for 30 seconds to allow garlic to become aromatic, but do now allow garlic to brown. Add heavy whipping cream. Bring to a simmer and allow sauce to thicken, about 2-4 minutes. Stir inchopped chives and lemon zest. Add salt and pepper to taste.
3. Serve fillets with bacon and chive sauce drizzled on top. Serve leftover sauce on the side, along with a light salad and/or rice.