- 1 lb. pinto beans
- 3/4 cup + 1 tbs. lard/manteca
- 3 stalks green onions, sliced lengthwise
- 1 white or yellow chili pepper, quartered and seeded
- salt, to taste
- shredded cheese, optional
1. Cover pinto beans with water in a heavy pot. Bring to a boil and reduce to a simmer for 2-3 hours, or until softened. Once beans are cooked, add 1 tbs. of lard to a separate heavy frying pan.
2. Fry green onions and yellow chili peppers. When onions brown, remove from pan, leaving chili to fry longer. I like to crush the chili with my spoon to release more of its flavors into the oil. After a couple minutes, remove the chili pieces.3. Add the beans into the frying pan, a couple of cups at a time. NO LIQUID. Mash beans to desired consistency. During this time, add remaining lard and stir to mix thoroughly. Mince the cooked chili pieces and add to the beans. Add salt, to taste. Sprinkle shredded cheese on top (optional).
Like Food for Hunters on Facebook!