Kale Chips

Kale Chips... Now, I know what you're thinking. "What business does kale have to do with wild game blog?! It's green!" Well, I guess I let my curiosity get the better of me. After all, kale is getting to be the next big thing, and we wouldn't want to miss out on any fad, would we? Yeah, I know. Californians eat weird things. I blame Food Network.

Anything with the word "chips" in it gets me excited-- except buffalo chips.  That's the only reason why I decided to make this, and because I was bored. The verdict: interesting. Kale crisps up surprisingly well in the oven without turning into wilted spinach. It's slightly bitter and is reminiscent of seaweed Nori chips Rick and I love so much. It won't replace potato chips in taste, but it's definitely a healthier alternative and something different to make. Kale seems to be one of those things that you either like or don't like. So give it a try and find out for yourself! Oh, and try feeding it to your kids. Tell 'em that they're green potato chips.  ;-)

Prep Time: 10 minutes
Cooking Time: 20 minutes
Ingredients:
- 1 head of kale
- kosher salt
- freshly cracked black pepper
- olive oil

Kale is so pretty. :-)

Try to pick out younger, smaller heads of kale. Supposedly, the bigger and older the kale, the more bitter it tastes. 
1. Preheat oven to 275 degrees F. Rinse and wash kale in cold water.

Remove leaves from the stem. Cut/rip leaves into pieces that are slightly bigger than bite-size. They will shrink. Allow leaves to thoroughly dry. 
2. Lay leaves on a baking sheet. Drizzle with some olive oil, and season with salt and pepper. Toss to coat. Try not to over-salt because the chips will shrink. You can always add more salt later. 
3. Place in a 275 degree oven for about 20 minutes, or until crisp. Turn leaves halfway through baking.

The baking sheet was completely covered. See how much they shrunk?
Sprinkle more salt, if desired. Enjoy! 
Mmmm...

 









Check us out on Facebook!

Follow Us on Twitter



Save the date! July 2nd from 5:30-9PM, Game Feast 4 Freedom. Be there or be square! 


Comments