Spicy Elk Vindaloo


You know the “Indian food is so spicy!” exclamations you often get from people? Well, this is definitely one of those dishes.

Vindaloo is a Portuguese dish brought to India by sailors. Indians in the region of Goa took this recipe and made it their own, turning vindaloo into a globally popular dish. It is now a staple in Indian restaurants everywhere, especially in British-Indian curry houses. Notoriously spicy, this is not a curry for timid palates.

Lamb vindaloo is one of my all-time favorite Indian dishes. I’ve had it in restaurants, and in both jarred and frozen-dinner form. Though my eyes might water and my nose might run, I find the flavor is so addictive that I can’t stop eating it. If you’re a fan of spicy food, you’re going to love this recipe. I think it tastes just as good with elk as it does lamb.

For those wanting to try vindaloo, but not so sure about the heat factor, swap out the dried Indian red chilies for dried Mexican guajillo chilies. Guajillos will still give you good color and flavor, but little heat. If you don't live near an Asian or Indian grocery store, Amazon should have all the ingredients you'd need.

For this spicy elk vindaloo recipe, visit: http://www.bowhuntingmag.com/editorial/spicy-elk-venison-vindaloo-recipe/329668#

Comments