French's Crunchy Onion Venison Steaks

We send a million thanks to Ashley Kosack of South Florida. She sent us this recipe not too long ago, and it was delicious! Ashley said, " I'm not the type to give my secrets away, but this one is so good that I want everyone to try it! My husband and I are avid hunters and we usually fill our freezers. So the only thing we eat is wild game. I'm constantly making new recipes. This one is easy and goes great with venison backstrap, which for my husband is like gold." Ashley likes to marinate her venison steaks in Italian or herb dressing, but we opted to dust our steaks with a light coating of Hidden Valley Ranch Seasoning. The beauty of this dish is that you can season your meat any way you like. 

Servings: 4
Prep Time: 10 minutes
Cook Time: 10-15 minutes
Ingredients:
- 20 oz. of venison backstraps
- 1 package of ranch seasoning dry mix (or favorite dressing) 
- 2 cups of French's Original Fried Onions
- 2 tbs. all-purpose flour
- 1 egg, beaten


1. Preheat oven to 400 degrees F.

Cut tenderloins into desired sized pieces for each person. Lightly coat each with ranch seasoning dry mix. Don't overdo it. It's very salty. You may not even use the entire package. If using a wet marinade, let it sit for at least 30 minutes.

2. In a ziplock bag, combine 2 cups of French's Fried Onion and 2 tbs. of flour. Crush with hands or rolling pin. 
3. Dip meat into egg, then coat with onion crumbs. Press crumbs down so they stick. 

Place venison on a baking sheet and bake at 400 degrees F for 10-15 minutes. 10 minutes for medium-rare. 


Enjoy with your favorite sides. Yum!! Thanks, Ashley, for a wonderful recipe! 
Got a recipe you want us to try? Send us an email at foodforhunters@gmail.com Please note that we are limited to the wild game that's available to us. You can also choose to photograph the recipe yourself. If you do, please send a well composed, clear photo and the recipe. No phone photos, please! 





About Ashley Cosack
I was born and raised in South Florida. Grew up in the outdoors with my dad; I was the son he never had. I used to do everything with him, from fishing, to working on trucks and heavy machinery. When I was about 16, we started duck hunting together. Then I met my husband who I married this past November. He introduced me to archery and really started my passion for the outdoors. We live to hunt, and hunt to live. We do everything in the outdoors together. I'm proud to say that I'm a hunter's wife, as I'm sure he's proud to say that he's a huntress's husband! Haha. 

This photo of us was from 2010 when I harvested my first deer, a big South Florida public land 8 point. He was so proud of me, and of course, I was extremely proud of myself. It took a lot of hard work and years of scouting in the same WMA, but well worth it! I was also pregnant with our first daughter here, and the hunt happened right before we found out. Our daughter has definitely proven that she's an outdoor girl for sure. She'll be two in July and loves hunting and fishing with us every chance she gets! 

Comments