Road to Nebraska: Day 2

Remember last night when I said that Grandpa's Grill in New Mexico was good? Well, scratch that! Grandpa's Grill left a lasting impression on me... and it wasn't cute. 

Anyway, after an eventful night in Gallup, Rick and I headed out this morning for Oklahoma City. Neither of us got a good night's sleep.

We left at 6:00 AM this morning. It was 16 degrees. Frost covered my little Honda Civic. 
As we left, the sky became alive in front of us. The sunrise was quite beautiful. It's amazing to see so much sky. Not a sight I'm used to after having lived in Southern California. 
Thirty miles west of Santa Rosa, New Mexico, the road was as straight as could be. It seemed to go on forever and forever, as far as the eye could see. 
After what seemed like an extremely long time, we finally broke into Texas. 
At around 1 PM, Rick and I stopped into Amarillo for a bite to eat. Cracker Barrel is one of our favorites!
I had a delicious beef stew and my two favorite sides in the world, fried okra and turnip greens. YUM!
Rick ordered more than he could eat... a whole plate of turkey and dressing! 

After lunch, we dreaded having to get back on the road. We were only halfway to Oklahoma City. I figured we wouldn't reach our destination until 7. 
After what seemed like an eternity, we finally spotted the Oklahoma state line sign. But we knew we still had to drive another 230 or so miles, and we were losing daylight fast. 
The further into Oklahoma we went, the sky became thicker and darker. The road seemed wet. Looked like the rain beat us to it. 

At 7 PM, Rick and I finally pulled up to our hotel. 13 hours on the road... what a butt numbing experience!

Now we sleep, to finish the last leg of our trip. Onto Nebraska!

(These photos were taken off my phone. We will post better pictures from my camera later.)

Comments