Prep Time: 15 minutes
Cooking Time: 1 hour
- 1 lb. russet potatoes
- 2 tbs. butter
- 1/2 lb. Brussels sprouts
- salt and freshly ground black pepper, to taste
- 1/2 tsp. Hungarian paprika (optional)
- 1/4 cup cornmeal- olive oil
1. Preheat oven to 400 degrees F.
Peel potatoes and cut into cubes.
Drop the potatoes in a pot. Submerge with water and add a pinch of salt. Bring to a boil, then simmer until potatoes are tender. About 30 minutes.
2. Meanwhile, wash Brussels sprouts. Discard any discolored leaves and cut off any brown bottoms. Lay on a sheet pan and sprinkle with salt and pepper, to taste. Drizzle with olive oil. Bake in a 400 degree F oven for 35 to 40 minutes, or until outsides are slightly browned and crispy.
Chop Brussels sprouts.
3. Once potatoes are tender, drain thoroughly. Return to the pot to dry out. Allow to cool.Add 2 tbs. of butter, then mash potatoes.
Add chopped Brussels sprouts.
Then add 1/2 tsp. of Hungarian paprika. Combine all ingredients well. Add salt and pepper, to taste.
4. Form potato mixture into 12 patties. Dust with cornmeal and salt on both sides.Heat about 2 tbs. of olive oil in a skillet. Carefully fry Bubble and Squeak for 2 minutes on each side, or until golden brown. Drain on paper towels, and serve immediately. For extra crispy patties, freeze the patties after frying. Then place on a cookie sheet, and bake in a 375 degree oven until heated through and crispy on the outside, 15 minutes.